June 10, 2008

Fun in San Clemente


Good friend, pedicure, fast cars... what more could you want?

I spent some time with my good friend Stacie yesterday down in the coastal community of San Clemente. It's the last town in Orange County before San Diego County begins. For OC, it is still a relatively quiet town, snuggled in the hills next to the sea, all palm trees, lush vegetation and red tile roofs.

It just so happened we stumbled into the vintage car show happening down the main street, Del Mar, which literally means "by the sea."

Stacie and I go back a long way... back to the early 90's or maybe even late 80's. We worked together at the same hotel back then. We kept in touch, then she did a crazy thing and went to work in Antarctica. I lived vicariously through her emails for her entire winter season, delighting at her adventures. Then when the company I worked for went belly-up and I was faced with a daunting job search, she suggested I apply to work on the Ice. I was sure I wasn't qualified for such an adventurous position but she convinced me otherwise and later that year I found myself in a place so white and strange, it was like the moon. Except the moon with heavy equipment, diesel fumes, dust, and odd little black and white bird beings.

So yeah, Stacie and I go back. I guess I could thank her for suggesting Antarctica, because after all, I met my husband there and now I'm so happily married I could pinch myself. I can never thank you enough Stace!

More photos of the car show... I love this 61 bus, probably because I had my own 67 bus for about eight years in my 20's. Can you imagine taking this baby on a road trip? (but just for a moment you'll have to pretend that gas doesn't cost $4.50 a gallon!).


Makes me want to get another bus and fix it up.


Rows and rows of classic-ness.


I can imagine those folks there in the photo have gone back in time in their minds. As the wings of time carry off the years, we'll all be doing that someday too.

Sweet!


Mean Green Machine.


Woo-weee!


For all you folks on the ice, the shadows and reflections caused by the presence of the sun must look pretty odd to you about now. Look at that grille!

No comments: