May 20, 2008

Venice Art Walk

Yesterday, on a sweltering, record-breaking Spring day in Venice, California, I went to the Venice Art Walk with some friends. The art exhibition and benefit, staged on the grounds of an elementary school, included silent auctions of art works, ceramics and cartoons, plus an elaborate system of buses taking folks around to all the artist's galleries located around Venice. There was live music and delicious food from many local restaurants.

I didn't take many photos -- many of the artists didn't like photos being taken in their studios, but I did manage to get these (with permission).

Giant dogs (and other critters) are made from recycled plastics.


A different take on the glass vase. So gorgeous in the sunlight.



Will this fountain fit in my suitcase? Because I really, desperately want to take it home with me (that is grass reflected in the side of the fountain -- water pools at the top and cascades down all the highly reflective sides).


We hopped on a bus and visited the studio of Larry Albright, who is well known for his work with "plasma" globes and neon since the 1960's. Click here to visit his website. He's done a lot of work for movies such as Star Wars, Star Trek (movies) and Close Encounters (OTTK) and for theme parks such as Disneyland and Universal Studios.

Here is a giant tube filled with excited gases producing electricial bolts that look like lightning.


'Tubes' of the trade...


The workshop of a Madman... or Genius?


I was so bummed Antz couldn't see this... he would have loved it. I certainly couldn't 'talk shop' with Larry like he could.

Another artist I was particularly moved by was Fortune Sitole. He is a South African artist that does these amazing scenes depicting South African life by using corrugated aluminum, used soda cans, bright colors and rich textures. I was mesmerized. I very nearly bought one and sitting here now, I'm not sure why I didn't bring one home.



Aren't they amazing?

And who wouldn't appreciate this ride? The paint job is a sparkling orange that turns yellow in the highlights.


It was a fabulous day, despite the heat and I hope I have a chance to go again someday.

No comments: