June 08, 2008

Clay and Dichroic Pendant


I had a play with the clay again yesterday and decided to try my hand at some pendants with little dichroic pieces in them. I devised a way to roll out the clay with very consistent thickness by placing to pieces of 1/8" flat balsa wood on either side of the clay, then putting each end of the roller on the balsa. That allows for a very even 1/8" roll-out on the clay.

I rolled out some black Premo clay, then stamped it, then rubbed some silver mica powder on with my fingertip. Then pressed a small dichroic dot in the center, placed a wire hanger on the top and baked it.

After baking, I covered it with a satin gloss to seal it, glued in the wire bit on the top and put a nice chain on it. I think it turned out rather nice for a first try. The fact that I want to wear it is a good thing.

1 comment:

Michiel said...

Hi Christine,

Sheri and I have spent a whole morning on the couch admiring all the stuff you made. It is all beautiful and I enjoy it very much that you tell how you made it.

Love,
michiel