July 21, 2008

Happy Happy Joy Copic

Okay, so I did it. I bought some Copic markers. What a splurge. But in my defense, I think they are exceedingly useful, valuable, and necessary artists tools to have around. And I got a really good price on them.

Copic markers are the creme de la creme of artists markers. Manga artists use them to get vivid colors, even toning and amazing shading results in their illustrations. They are a lifetime investment as they are refillable and the tips are replaceable. So I feel I have made a good choice. Immediately after bringing my babies home, I sat down and did these illustrations.
That is in order...an Emperor penguin and a Scott Tent.

I haven't actually sat down to draw something in a long time so it is such a relief to know I can still do it. I used photographs for my source material, so I didn't draw this stuff from total memory -- that WOULD be amazing.

These markers make me feel such joy. Even just looking at them sitting in their little box on the table...all lined up like little Soldiers of Creativity. I remember feeling a similar way when I got my first box of Prisma Pencils when I was about 12. I still have that box of pencils and they still work as good as when I first got them. Some of the pencils are getting a bit stubby though.

I am now on my last week here in Southern California. It has been a wonderful visit and I feel I have grown in amazing ways. Creatively I have learned a myriad of new crafts and skills, I have acquired some wonderful tools to use and I feel I have become more in tune with myself and with my spirituality. I feel a sense of excitement for the future.

Now I return to New Zealand, swapping the hot, dry summer weather here for what is sure to be cold and damp conditions in Christchurch. It also looks like I will be returning to McMurdo Station for a short contract in the Finance office starting early September. Well, I don't actually have my contract yet...waiting for that, but I imagine it is forthcoming. I can't wait to see my adorable husband, Anthony, again. We have been apart since February -- it will be 7 whole months before we are together again.


The International Antarctic Film Festival*

Speaking of Anthony, he is arranging an Antarctic film competition in August, starting with a 48-hour film contest and following a week later with a international film festival at which all films will be shown and voted on.

For the 48-hour contest, aspiring film makers are given several random objects, sounds and a speaking line that they must use in their film. The films are shot fast and dirty and edited the same way, since they have to be completed within 2 days. They are short; being only 5 minutes or less in length and are all shot in Antarctica.

This is not the first time he has done this, but the COOLEST thing about this year is that he sent invitations to all the other stations on the continent -- to Australian, Italian, German, British bases, etc. and many of them have shown their intent to participate. So it truly will be an international event.

*we need to come up with a very cool name for this event and a similarly cool acronym. Eg: San Francisco's International Film Fest is called "SFIFF."


Parting Sketch


I drew this in my sketchbook the other day and just thought it was kind of silly.

No comments: