August 03, 2008

Spring Is Coming

What happens when you don't update your blog often enough? You end up with a plenitude of things to say which well explains this rather long entry.

First, the good stuff. SPRING. It's on it's way as evidenced by the tiny signs of growth occurring in my garden at the moment.

The bulbs are coming out and I await their blooms eagerly.


The barren sticks of my rose bushes are pushing forth tiny new growth, that will become monstrous growth once Summer arrives.


Lavender is an all-year bloomer. Isn't that wonderful!



After last night's rain, this gorgeous little plant is covered with sparkling beads of water.


Notice the new leaf buds on my hydrangea bush -- and oh yeah, there's a sock there too. Ha! This is the finished Noro sock. I had finished this sock, only to realize I'd made it about an inch too short, so I had to undo the toe and add about 8 rows. Years ago, I probably would have abandoned the sock, not having the patience to rip it out and re-do. But when you invite the 40's to dinner, they usually come with nice side-dishes...like patience.


That is the great thing about Noro yarn. You just never know exactly how the finished thing will look. I am pleased with them. They are bright and fun and will look great with my Dansko clogs or my green Keen sandals.


Yesterday's Adventure


Yesterday, after several days of rain (I hadn't seen the sun since I arrived back in New Zealand), the morning came with sunshine and fine weather. I actually got to turn off all the heaters in the house for the first time. Sun flooded the upstairs and I actually felt...do I dare say... HOT.

The sun's appearance infused me with a new energy and vigor and I simply had to get out of the house. I grabbed my bike and headed down to the end of our peninsula. Everything was still fresh from the rain, colors intense from being soaked, the air was impossibly clear and everything in sharp detail. I breathed it in. I remembered why I love New Zealand.

I was just going to go to the end of the street and back, but the trails at the end of the peninsula beckoned and I obeyed. I got right around the loop, stopped at a bench facing the beach for a moment of reflection, then continued on. Right near the end of the loop, I was faced with a flooded trail. I mean really flooded. At least a foot of water. Not just the trail, but a large area around it. I decided to try going off-road over the clumps of sea grass, but discovered pretty quickly that despite appearances, it too was flooded. My feet just sunk down through the grass into the water, soaking through my socks and Keen sandals.

I was a bit horrified at first, but then realized that it was quite refreshing to have my feet in the icy cold water. Back to the basics of sensation and fun. I struggled my way through the bush and grass, then finally resigned myself to getting back on the flooded trail and just slogging straight through it, laughing. This went on for about 200 feet. It was fun and invigorating!

I wish I had my camera. I have made a pact with myself that my camera will now come with me at all times. I never know when I'll have a little adventure which would be fun to share on the blog.

To officially welcome Spring, I got a a red hyacinth plant and will look forward to watching it bloom.


August 1st


On August 1st, Anthony and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. Even though we are apart at the moment, we found ways of celebrating our special day. First and foremost, I remembered it, which is a good thing considering last year I forgot! Anthony sent me these.


Today the skies are gray yet again. When you live here, you learn to get out when the sun is shining and grab those opportunities when you can.

No comments: