March 07, 2010

Baby Parka Progress

Here's the progress so far. I've knitted the back and one complete front side. Still working on the other front side. The color in this photo is a little bit off because the yarn has such a nice sheen. It almost looks like a deep pink, but it's actually a very nice shade of red. I can't believe how fast this sweater is going...babies are quite small and knitting stuff for them is fun as the projects shape up very quickly.

The yellow yarns are simply holding stitches that will be used later on (instead of binding off).

I tried the Lamb's Pride yarn as a possible alternative, and although it's a nice thick weight, it is 100% wool and not machine washable. I worried that the sweater would mistakenly be thrown in with the rest of the wash and it would be ruined. New Mom's have more important things to do than worry about the special washing instructions for one particular piece of clothing. 100% wool will shrink and start felting when put into a washing machine. So I've decided to stick with the Cashmerino. I've started thoughts about lining it with a nice fleece which would give the parka some body.

I have so many other projects in my mind at the moment, but they will have to wait. I have an awesome skein of bamboo sock yarn I bought in Hawera when I was there recently. I have a pattern for a pair of felted slippers I've wanted to try. I bought this amazing collection of yarns including a beautiful ribbon yarn in San Diego when I was there that's going to be knit together to create my winter scarf.

This bamboo sock yarn is titled appropriately. It is so soft and the colors represent most everything in my wardrobe.

This is a hand-dyed yarn from the north island, New Zealand, appropriately called "fern." It is a giant ball and I can make many things from it. It would be great for felting.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I can't believe I have missed some of your recent blogs! So great to see all of your new creativery, love it, just love it! I've been thinking about patterns, but can't come up with any!! Shoot. Anyways, thanks for blogging!