March 06, 2010

Making Stuff Up

My next project is a baby sweater that looks like one of the U.S. Antarctic Program parkas. I purchased a lovely Debbie Bliss merino wool and cashmere blend yarn ("Cashmerino") in the appropriate shade of red. I am using an existing pattern from a book of baby stuff as a guide. Ultimately, the 'parka' will have a faux fur trim on the hoodie and zip up the front. I may or may not add the reflective patch on the back, but it would be an nice touch for authenticity.

Here's me in a USAP parka:

Here's a drawing of my idea:

Except it will be a zip-up instead of buttons and I may leave off the fur on the sleeves, but it does look kind of cute that way (with the fur). Would be cute to put on a white name badge like the real parka and embroider the word "baby" on it or something. People could personalize their own baby parkas by embroidering their baby's name on it. Cool. I just thought of this while I was typing.

Creating a pattern like this is a challenge for me. I have only knit one sweater in my time successfully, although I'd like to do more eventually.

I knitted some swatches to get a gauge and have started knitting the back of the sweater. After about 30 rows, I am starting to feel that the yarn might not be heavy enough to give the feeling of a parka. But with babies, it seems important to use a very soft yarn. Maybe not even so much for the baby's sake, but for the mother's, ha ha. This yarn I am using is very soft and has a nice drape -- great for a sweater -- but maybe not so great for a parka.

I have another yarn I can try -- Lamb's Pride worsted in a similar red. But I reckon a baby parka made from that would have to be lined as the Lamb's Pride is not as soft. Not impossible certainly. I may knit up a swatch of that to see how it feels in my hand.

My needles are calling...

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Love it! Especially the "name" badge.