March 18, 2008

It's Hip to be Granny Square


How does one define addiction?

If it means putting one thing before anything else, even sleep, food, exercise, watering the garden and other chores, or even other desirable craft pasttimes, then I suppose I am addicted to Granny Squares.

I just taught myself to make them the other night from a book. It was a good brain-strengthening exercise to figure out the secret Granny Square code. But I stayed up until 3am and finally figured it out. Here I am just this morning. I did manage breakfast, coffee and some emailing, but not sure if anything else will get done today.


I think the appeal is that they have the instant gratification factor going for them. I mean, you can make one square in about 10-20 minutes, depending on size and speed. They quickly start multiplying like rabbits. Then you have a bunch of them and you go nuts thinking of all the fun stuff you can make with them. Hat, scarf, blankie, handbag? And all the color combos! Don't get me started!

Before the days of internet, cell phones and reality TV, there were Granny Squares. Remember your Mom or your Auntie working away in the car or at the train station or the doctor's office? They were addicted too. They just didn't have the awareness that we have today.

My Mom once made me a Granny Square blanket. Where is that blanket today? I wish I still had it. If somone gives you one, treasure it!

Okay, so segway into silver smithing...

I made progress on my new ring last night. It is a chunky ring, made from very thick silver. It has a oval-shaped sodalite stone that is the is the focal point of the ring. The sodalite is a really cool deep blue color that reminds me of denim.

This is how the ring looks now (in the lovely morning sun). Last night I shaped the bezel collar piece so it would fit on the curve of the ring. This took a long time and required numerous passes with a half-round file to get just exactly the right shape. The shaping has to be near perfect (no gaps) before soldering or else the solder joint won't hold.


The ring looks kind of funky, I know. That is because the soldering process leaves behind residue that needs to be soaked off in a sulphuric acid mixture. There is gorgeous silver under the haze. There is still a ton of filing, shaping and polishing that needs to be done before the ring will be in its final, shiny, gorgeous state.

This is approximately what the ring will look like when done. The stone is just 'sitting' in the bezel right now. Later the edges of the bezel will be flattened down around the edges of the stone.


I particularly like the design I came up with on this ring. Always has to be something different, and unique with me. Notice the interesting curve of the ring from the underside. And the fit is spot on!


It is amazing to think that this ring is made simply from two thicknesses of sheet silver, that was cut out with a saw. Nothing fancy at all...just requires some basic skills. Isn't it exciting!

No comments: