March 03, 2008

Surprise Visitor

Tonight was my silversmithing class at the Art Centre in downtown Christchurch. I made great progress on my pinkie ring -- in fact I finished it. After lots of filing and sanding, I dunked the ring in a boiling hot liver of sulphur solution which turns the silver black. And yes, it smells just like rotten eggs. Once the ring was blackened, I then polished all the raised surfaces to a brilliant shine and the dark bits stayed in the recessed areas of the ring. This is a popular technique with jewellery artists as it gives depth and contrast to a piece.


While I was happily immersed in filing and sanding the ring, I felt a tap on my shoulder, turned around and lo and behold, found Harry Fishel standing there. Many of you know Harry -- he is a frequent summer contractor at McMurdo Station -- and an accomplished silversmith. It was his 5-week class that he taught on the ice that introduced me to silversmithing...and he was the one that told me about the silversmithing course (that I am currently taking) at the Art Centre.

I had written an email to Harry to tell him that I was taking the course he recommended, but never thought he'd stop by the class once he'd left Antarctica.

What a marvelous surprise! I am kicking myself for not getting a photo of us even though my camera was right there in my handbag. Harry is on his way to Australia to look for opals (I think he is a bit mad about opals and he has shown me some truly amazing specimens). Good luck Harry...hope you find some good ones!

I also did the finishing touches on my other PMC and dichroic glass pendant that I collected from the teacher Anita last week. I hung it on a nice chain by a couple of decorative jump rings and finished shaping the earwires for the earrings (not shown). I think it turned out quite nice!


Mom, by the way, the yellow labradorite (stones) arrived and they are gorgeous! I will have to see if I can work them into a project soon. Thank you so much for sending them!

No comments: