April 04, 2008

Green Bike, Green Thoughts


Here's my new mountain bike. It's a Kona brand, apparently a Canadian company. I don't know about all the other bits and pieces of the bike, but I do know it is an awesome ride. The shock absorbing system takes out anything the road throws at me...and the gear shifting is smooth and easy. A lot has changed since the last time I rode a bike (which is about 10 years ago!). It feels solid, the knobby wheels whizzing on the road and it has that wonderful clicking sound that a bike makes when you aren't pedaling.

And it's GREEN. *sigh* Can life get any better?

There's nothing like the feeling of the wind in my face, the world rushing by (as well as some very gargantuan red buses) and feeling good about going somewhere under my own power.

I bought a helmet to protect my coconut. It has a nice girlie flower pattern on it and the white matches the bike frame (you know, I hate to admit I'm one of those people can only find contentment in life when things match, but I guess I am! Color-coordination is Zen!)


I got on my green chariot today for a spin to the store to pick up some milk and an avocado (the necessities of life)... but got about a 1/2 mile down the road and had to turn back. To be honest, the bones in my backside have not gotten used to this new activity, even despite the gel seat cover, impressive suspension, and generous padding of my own in that region ... it's the only thing holding me back from getting out there on my new wheels. I need to investigate intensive padding options or maybe I'll just get used to it.



Speaking of thinking green, if you have the time, please visit this website:

www.wecansolveit.org

and sign the petition for change to stop and reverse global warming. It only takes a second. And please, spread the word.

No comments: